Vanilla Pastry Cream Filling:
2½ cups Whole Milk
½ cup Heavy Cream
4 Large Egg Yolks, lightly beaten
1 cup Sugar
⅓ cup Cornstarch
1½ tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Tbs Unsalted Butter
Whipped Cream Topping:
2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
¼ cup Confectioner’s Sugar
Directions for Blind Baked Pie Crust:
*this can be done up to 2 days in advance*
1. Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
2. Remove pie crust from the refrigerator. Blind Bake by lining the crust with parchment paper and fill it to the brim with
pie weights (or dried beans!).
3. Bake the weighted pie for 25 minutes on the middle rack.
4. Remove weighted pie from the oven. Carefully remove the pie weights (or beans) as well as the parchment paper.
5. Using a fork, prick the crust along the entire surface of the bottom of the pie as well as the sides of the pie. Return to
the oven for 10 -15 additional minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Remove the crust from the oven and cool
on a wire rack.
Directions for Vanilla Pastry Cream:
*this can be done up to 3 days in advance. It needs a minimum of 4 hours to cool to thicken up*
- Combine milk, heavy cream, and egg yolks in a medium bowl. Stir to combine.
2. Combine sugar and cornstarch in a separate bowl. Stir to combine.
3. Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients in a medium pot over medium heat. Using a whisk, stir to
4. Continue to whisk while the mixture begins to warm up and slowly thicken. After 4-8 minutes of continuous whisking
(to prevent the bottom from burning!), the mixture will begin to boil. Once it begins to boil, set a timer for 30
seconds. Continue to whisk the thickening pasty cream until the timer goes off.
5. Remove the pastry cream from the heat and add in the butter and vanilla. Stir until butter is completely melted and
vanilla is mixed throughout.
6. Strain the pastry cream into a heat proof container to cool. Place plastic wrap directly in contact with the pastry
cream to prevent a film from forming. Allow the pastry cream to cool in the refrigerator and thicken for a minimum
of 4 hours or a maximum of 3 days.
Find Fat Toad Farm Caramel online here.