½ large onion, chopped
½ head garlic, minced
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp salt
1 heaping tsp sweet or smoked paprika (not hot)
½ tsp cumin
1 tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp red chile flakes, cayenne, or dried chipotle chile
½ can (3 oz) tomato paste
½ cup ketchup
1 ¾ cup cider vinegar
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp bourbon or other whiskey
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup Fat Toad Farm Original Caramel (Click HERE to find our caramel at a store near you!)
1. In a small saucepan, sauté onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and spices in oil until onion is
2. Add tomato paste, ketchup, cider vinegar, balsamic, bourbon, and Worcestershire
sauce. Bring to a boil, and stir occasionally for a few minutes, or until slightly thickened.
3. Take off heat and cool for five minutes.
4. While still warm, but no longer piping hot, stir in Fat Toad Farm Original Caramel.
5. Fire up the grill and enjoy! We love this BBQ sauce with ribs, burgers, or chicken!