This is one of our favorite – but also one of the simplest and most gratifying ways to eat Fat Toad Farm Caramel!
Core 4 Macintosh or other baking apples.
Place in 8X8 baking pan.
Put a dollop of butter in cored center of each apple.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
Pour Fat Toad Farm Cinnamon Goat’s Milk Caramel in the center and drizzle on top.
Garnish with a cinnamon stick or serve with vanilla ice cream (or both!).
One 9 inch pie crust (use your favorite homemade recipe or store-bought)
4 medium sized baking apples,(Empire, Rome or other), peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/2 cup of your favorite Fat Toad Farm Goat’s Milk Caramel
1 egg, beaten 1 teaspoon sugar
Directions: Preheat oven to 400°F. Roll dough out into one large or two small rounds on a baking sheet. Toss together apples and caramel. Mound caramel and apples in the middle of the dough leaving a 1-inch border. Fold dough up and over apples, to enclose fruit and prevent caramel from seeping out. Brush edges of dough with egg wash, and sprinkle with sugar. Bake until apples are tender and crust is golden brown, about 35-40 minutes.
Have you had it yet? An affogato is a great summer treat. Who doesn’t want ice cream this time of year? And who doesn’t need a shot of espresso any time of year?! This an incredibly easy and delicious dessert to make. Here ya go, step-by-step:
1. Scoop ice cream into cup.
2. Make hot shot of espresso.
3. Pour espresso over ice cream.
4. Drizzle amply with caramel! Go pure and simple with our Original Caramel or get a little boozy with Salted Bourbon Caramel!
1. To make sugar caramel mixture: Bring sugar and water to a boil in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Bring sugar water mixture to a boil, swirling pan occasionally without stirring (which prevents liquid from coloring unevenly) until liquid turns a dark amber color. Immediately divide liquid among 6 ramekins and swirl each ramekin to coat bottom and about halfway up the sides.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Put Fat Toad Farm Caramel and half-and-half in a heavy medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring until smooth. Whisk together whole eggs and yolks in a large bowl. Slowly whisk in hot liquid. This is very important – do not talk to anyone about what pasture the goats are going to at this stage or your eggs will curdle! 🙂
3. Ladle or pour custard into ramekins.
4. Bake in a hot water bath that reaches half way up the ramekins until the edges are set but a small area in the center is still wobbly, 30 to 40 minutes.
5. Remove ramekins from water and cool at least 30 minutes (custard will continue to set). Un-mold just before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature
Recipe: Apple Hand Pies With Goat’s Milk Caramel Dipping Sauce
Makes 12 hand pies
Recipe inspired by Sarah Yates of A House In the Hills – discovered via one of my all-time favorite blogs: A Cup of Joe
For the pie crust:
2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. sugar
3/4 cup butter
1/3 cup + 3 tbsp. ice water
For the filling:
1 1/2 cups of peeled, cored and chopped baking apples – we used Macintosh
1 tsp. flour
1 tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cardamon
1 tbsp. sugar
8oz Fat Toad Farm Goat’s Milk Caramel Sauce – we used our favorite Original Caramel
Sprinkle of Fleur de Sel to garnish
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl combine apples, flour, lemon juice, sugar and spices. Mix and set aside.
In a food processor fitted with an “S” blade, combine flour, salt and sugar to start creating your pie crust. Add butter to food processor and pulse until the flour is mixed, when you squeeze the mixture it should stick together. Add 1-2 tablespoons more butter if needed. Add ice water and pulse until dough is sticky enough to form into a ball.
Remove dough and place on a lightly floured surface and use a rolling pin to flatten to 1/4″ thickness. Be careful to not over-handle the dough, roll only as much as needed, in one direction, to flatten it. Use a 3.5″ biscuit cutter to create 12 circles. Roll each circle a several times to further flatten to about 1/8″.
Scoop a spoonful of apple mixture onto each dough circle, fold over and press edges with a fork to seal. Cut three small slices in the top of each hand pie. Place pies on baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until crust is golden on the edges. Let cool before serving. Dip in goat’s milk caramel and sprinkle with a dash of Fleur de Sel finishing sale for a savory kick. Enjoy!
Grilled Peaches with Greek Yogurt and Goat’s Milk Caramel Sauce
2 ripe Peaches
Butter or Vegetable Oil
½ cup Greek Yogurt or Crème Fraiche
½ cup Fat Toad Farm Original Goat’s Milk Caramel
Heat grill to medium-high heat. Cut peaches in half and remove pits. Brush insides of peaches with melted butter or vegetable oil. Place pit side down on grill and let cook for 4-5 minutes or until peaches begin to soften and grill marks appear. Brush tops with butter or oil and flip. Cook for a few more minutes. Remove and fill insides with Greek yogurt or crème fraiche. Drizzle with caramel and serve warm!