It is dark leafy greens season at FTF – or round one at least. No iron deficiencies on this farm!
Post by Lily Baker
Tiny Twin Piglet Yoga.
The new baby animals at here at Fat Toad just keep on coming. These are our new piglets, Cayenne and Pepper! They’re Tamworth Heritage Breed pigs from our friends at Hogwash Farm. The five pigs we had when I arrived became pork a few weeks ago. We had ham this morning for breakfast. Farming life cycles never end.
These little guys are teensy tiny, and way too cute. They’ve already escaped and wreaked havoc with the goats. 60 adult goats scampering out of the way of two confused little 15 pound piggies is quite a sight. I don’t know who was more scared, the goats, the piglets, or us! Luckily they’re back in their own home, and getting fat and happy on extra goat milk and caramel.
½ large onion, chopped
½ head garlic, minced
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp salt
1 heaping tsp sweet or smoked paprika (not hot)
½ tsp cumin
1 tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp red chile flakes, cayenne, or dried chipotle chile
½ can (3 oz) tomato paste
½ cup ketchup
1 ¾ cup cider vinegar
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp bourbon or other whiskey
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup Fat Toad Farm Original Caramel (Click HERE to find our caramel at a store near you!)
1. In a small saucepan, sauté onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and spices in oil until onion is
2. Add tomato paste, ketchup, cider vinegar, balsamic, bourbon, and Worcestershire
sauce. Bring to a boil, and stir occasionally for a few minutes, or until slightly thickened.
3. Take off heat and cool for five minutes.
4. While still warm, but no longer piping hot, stir in Fat Toad Farm Original Caramel.
5. Fire up the grill and enjoy! We love this BBQ sauce with ribs, burgers, or chicken!
New babies at Fat Toad Farm! Meet Harold and Francis. Watch out for their eyelashes, they’ll knock you right over.